A part of our mission as a non-profit is to support the Austin Fiber Arts with everything from donating supplies to local groups to giving free technique lessons. We are open to learning more your groups’ or art programs needs. Please contact our current President.
Here are some of the wonderful things we’ve done:
June 2018 – May 2019
- Donated fabric to Deer Park Middle School.
- Donated quilting supplies and fabric to Girl’s Middle School – Bertha Sadler Means Young Women’s Leadership Academy.
- Delivered 220 handmade holiday cards to the Meals on Wheels clients of the Holy Cross Lutheran Church.
- Delivered 25 handmade valentine cards to residents at the Austin Supported Living Center.
- Donated shampoo and shower gel packages to the Monte Siesta Nursing Home.
June 2017 – May 2018
- Donated fabrics, paint, glue, etc. to a Girl’s Middle School – Bertha Sadler Means Young Women’s Leadership Academy.
- Gave Boxes of fabric to the Hays County High School art program.
- Gave sewing kits to elementary school.
- Held a free activity booth at the Sunset Valley Art Fest, where people could create fabric collage bookmarks, experiment with a tabletop loom, set stitches in a tapestry frame, or learn finger weaving. We also gave away stitchery kits with burlap, yarn, a needle and some simple instructions.
June 2016 – May 2017
- Donated yarn to the Deer Park Middle School for a Yarn Bombing (October)
- Donated quilting supplies to Deer Park Middle School
- Gave several boxes of fabric to the Hays County High School Art Teacher
June 2015- May 2016
- Gave 20 hand-made quilt tops to Holy Cross Lutheran World Relief Organization.
- An AFA member donated handmade scarves to Austin Scarf Project.
- Put in numerous hours at Holy Cross Church to tie quilts and pack up school kits and baby care kits.
- Two of our members donated 20 quilt tops to Holy Cross Lutheran World Relief Organization.
- Made 9 baby bundles quilts for the Austin Area Quilt Guild’s drive.
- Put together 100 kits with sewing patches to give to Manor IDS.
- Gave 9 quilt tops and about 20 pounds of fabric to Holy Cross Lutheran World Relief Organization.
- Assembled 80 sewing kits for the 2nd graders at Barton Hills Elementary School.
- Put in 20 hours helping tie quilts with Holy Cross World Relief.
- An AFA member made 20 quilt tops for Lutheran World Relief Organization.
- Ran an art activities at the 2016 Women’s Empowerment Conference which featured embroidery kits, fabric collage bookmarks, and tumbled glass suncatchers.
- Ran a booth at Maker Faire, featuring demonstrations and free fabric collage bookmarks.
- An AFA member spent 15 hours helping Lutheran World Relief make quilt tops.
- An AFA member donated art supplies to the art therapy for mentally ill individuals program at Austin State Hospital.
- Participated in Mini-Maker Faire in May.
- An AFA member painted memory boxes for families who have lost their newborn at North Austin St. David’s Hospital and an award plaque for the
- disabled veterans who are preparing for a triathlon – the ‘RWB’- Red, White and Blue Team.
- Donated 32 hand-made quilt tops to Holy Cross Lutheran World Relief.
- Tied 8 quilts and sewed the binding on 10 quilts for Holy Cross Lutheran World Relief Organization.
- An AFA member made 14 quilt tops and 7 school kit bags and donated baby socks and soap for Baby care kits for Lutheran World Relief Organization
- An AFA member donated 4 quilts that belonged to her grandmother to be used for Lutheran World Relief Organization.
- An AFA member made 15 lap robe quilts with the “Piece on Earth” Quilters at the Shepherd of the Hills Presbyterian Church. The quilts were donated to “Meals on Wheels”.
- Donated 20 receiving blankets, 20 diapers, 6 pairs of socks, one baby sweater for Lutheran World Relief Organization.
- Contributed 20 quilt tops in 2012 to Lutheran World Relief.
- Finished 25 school kit bags and donated them to Lutheran World Relief
- We also gave financial support to Lutheran World Relief.